Reelection: Opposition mounts against Buhari’s
The re-election bid of President Muhammadu Buhari seems to have run into troubled waters early in the day as various individuals, and groups have voiced their opposition to the move.
The Archbishop emeritus of the Catholic archdiocese of Lagos, Olubunmi Okogie, has asked the president to respect himself and retire quietly.
Last Wednesday, Adebayo Shittu, minister of communications, said the campaign for the re-election of Buhari had commenced.
He also disclosed that the south-west campaign offices would be inaugurated on January 20.
Also, there are reports that Rotimi Amaechi, minister of transportation, has been appointed as the director-general of Buhari campaign.
Okogie who spoke to a Lagos based newspaper said it is an insult to Nigerians for the president to be talking about 2019 election.
“What has he done in the years he had been in the saddle? He has performed woefully; that’s the verdict of Nigerians,” Okogie said.
“Let the president respect himself and retire quietly. Coming out to talk of 2019 is insulting not only to those who voted him to power but to all Nigerians.
“There are so many problems confronting the people and he should be thinking of what to do about them. For second term, he must be a joker.
“That is all I can say for now because I don’t want to dignify them with a lengthy statement. It is not worth it.”
Also, various groups like the Arewa Youth Forum, comprising of northern youths; the Campaign for Democracy; and the Youth Wing of the Christian Association of Nigeria, have kicked against re-election bid.
The groups cited Buhari’s rejection on the incessant killings in the country, particularly by Fulani herdsmen.
They said that the clamour for second term, amidst attacks by herdsmen and fuel scarcity in the country, was a demonstration of the insensitivity of the President and his aides.
The Arewa Youth Forum, in a statement on Friday, insisted that those clamouring for Buhari’s re-election were being hasty and insensitive to the plight of Nigerians.
The AYF’s statement was signed by its National President, Gambo Ibrahim Gujungu, in Katsina, Katsina State.
It stated, “The umbrella organisation of all youths in the north, Arewa Youth Forum, after a cursory look at the polity and events of the recent past, has decided to react to some of the issues with a view to putting our imprint and thoughts on national discuss.
“Arewa Youth Forum is worried about the mindless killings all over the country, especially those in Benue, Kaduna, Kwara and Rivers states; also that this carnage is taking place in the New Year. Our thoughts are with those affected.
“We are even more amazed that this is coming shortly after the tenure extension of the service chiefs. As such, it calls for serious concern. Is this the good work that the President extended their tenure for? It is time for them to justify their continuous stay in office or give way for those who can bring out a security architecture that can protect Nigerians.
“We are also worried that Nigerians had to go through the Yuletide with agony and pains because of fuel scarcity, which still persists in the New Year, with the Federal Government not having a definite road map to end the malaise.”