Attacks: We’re deeply pained, imposes curfew – Plateau gov’t
Following an almost 48 hours sustained attacks on three local governments: Riyom, Barkin Ladi and Jos south, the Plateau state government has imposed a curfew, while expressing its deep pain at the fresh killings.
Secretary to the Plateau state government, Rufus Bature, announced the curfew on the three LGAs on Sunday afternoon.
The SSG said the movements in the three local government areas would be restricted between 6pm and 6am, however, adding that “essential duties” would be exempted.
Speaking also, the state commissioner of information, Yakubu Dati, said the government had mobilised the “full compliments” of security forces to restore normalcy in the affected areas.
“Government is deeply pained that despite concerted efforts which had led to the restoration of relative peace across the state, some unpatriotic elements are bent on disrupting the gains so far made,” Datti said in a statement.
On his part, chairman of Berom Youth Movement, Ladi Choji, told reporters nearly 100 corpses had been recovered so far.
He said 31 corpses were recovered from Gashish village, 42 others from different villages in Barkin Ladi.
“I believe that this attack was carefully planned by the herdsmen in collaboration with some military personnel who aided the attack.
“We have recovered 34 corpses from Gana Ropp and 8 from Gashis while several others have not been recovered.
“The corpses would be close to 100 because apart from 42 corpses that we have recovered, we are mobilising people to go into the villages to pick other corpses corpses that have not been recovered.”
Mathias Tyopev, spokesman of the Plateau police command, confirmed the incident but could not give casualty figure.
An eyewitness at the Jos University Teaching Hospital, JUTH, told our correspondent by phone that she counted 28 corpses deposited at the hospital on Saturday evening.