Written by Godfrey AKON

2018 UTME: over 1.5 million candidates await admission

Over 1.5 million candidates who sat for the 2018 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, UTME, are still awaiting admissions from tertiary institutions of their choice.

The long wait for admission continues five months after the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, JAMB, conducted the 2018 UTME exercise which was participated by 1,652,825 candidates.

JAMB Registrar, Prof Ishaq Oloyede, disclosed that as at Wednesday August 29, 2018, only 24,148 candidates had been offered admissions into the nation’s tertiary institutions.

Oloyede, who stated this in Abuja after a computer-based promotion exam for JAMB’s staff, however did not give reason for the slow pace of the admission process, but noted that the admission exercise was continuous.

The board usually set deadlines for first and second choice admissions at the end of each academic year in order not to disrupt the academic calendar.

Nigeria’s educational authorities estimate only 30 per cent annual intake of UTME candidates into the country’s tertiary institutions, leaving a backlog of 70 per cent without admissions.

Meanwhile, JAMB Registrar, Oloyede, has staved off pressure from the public to reduce the N5,000 registration fee charged by the board for the UTME.

The JAMB boss noted that the agency’s fee is one of the lowest in the entire world, dismissing agitations for its reduction as baseless.

“Why are they not asking WAEC (to reduce fee)? Why are they not asking NECO? Why are they not asking NABTEB? Why JAMB? We charge the least and you are saying reduce.

“The issue is because we have a means of managing the resources properly and we now have what you can call surplus and because we are open enough to return the surplus to government you now say we should crash the cost.

“What should be the basis of crashing the cost assuming the method we are using now is no longer available and we have to use the old method,”Oloyede said.

 

Search

Latest posts

PhotoWe are overwhelmed by rape, incest cases – FCTA Family members, clergy top abuse list

Officials of the Federal Capital Territory Administration Social Development Secretariat have revealed startling details of rape and incest against [...]

11 November 2018

PhotoBello lauds lawmakers’ contribution to Abuja’s development

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Malam Muhammad Bello, has commended federal lawmakers for their enormous contributions to the develo [...]

11 November 2018