Strange disease hits Wuye, residents go blind
Residents of Wuye, a suburb of Abuja Municipal Area Council, AMAC, are yet to unravel the outbreak of a strange disease that has left children and adults blind.
The Abuja Inquirer learnt that no fewer that fifteen persons have lost their sight to this disease.
Investigation revealed that the disease came as a shock to residents in the community who said they have never experienced such an incident before now.
It was learnt that the rate at which people are getting blind, after minor itching in their eyes, have placed the entire community in the state of anxiety, as nobody knows the next victim.
Speaking to residents of Wuro 1 and Wuro 2 communities in Wuye district, they claimed that the outbreak of the disease was first discovered when two kids of the same parent got blind within an interval of one week.
Further investigation also revealed that the community leaders in the area have reported the incident at the primary healthcare centre in Wuro 1 and 2, and yet to get a clear diagnosis of the health challenge.
A traditional ruler in the area, Mr. Gimba Ibrahim, noted that the disease has spread across the two communities, describing it as a worrisome development
"We are in a difficult terrain here, look at our environment, poor drainage system, the environment is littered with all kinds of waste bins. Once the refuse blocks the water channels, which was not properly constructed, the entire environment becomes polluted causing offensive odour. Officials of the primary healthcare centre that came for inspection and rescue operation, could not ascertain the name of the disease, and what causes it," the traditional ruler stated.
When asked if the outbreak of the disease is linked to any deity, he said "we have idol worshippers in this community, but majority of us are Christian, while others are Muslim. So, I do not see reason of attributing the cause of this strange disease to any superstition belief. I was born and brought up in this community, there is no history of any terrible outbreak of disease"
Another resident in Wuro 1 community, Salamatu Zubaru, expressed displeasure over what she described as poor sanitary condition.
A staff of the healthcare centre, Miss. Naomi Abu, attributed the outbreak to eating habit of some persons in the area.
When asked if she has conducted a test in connection with her assertion, she said "the patients we carried out tests on, the result came out with excess intake of groundnut oil, while others tested to high cholesterol in the blood stream. All these can cause blindness, especially among children. Although we have put measures in place to prevent further spread of the disease, we are as well calling on other relevant stakeholders for assistance."