Written by Godfrey AKON

JAMB to commence 2019 UTME Thursday- FG

The Federal government has said the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, JAMB, is prepared to commence the conduct of the 2019 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, UTME, slated to start on April 11, 2019.

Minister of Education, Malam Adamu Adamu, who sated this in Abuja while monitoring the mock UTME last Monday, expressed satisfaction with the orderliness of the conduct of the exercise adding that from the reports he received across the country, everything was orderly.

Earlier, the JAMB registrar, Prof Ishaq Oloyede, told reporters that two officials of the Board deployed to conduct the mock UTME narrowly escaped death at Lagos State Polytechnic, LASPOL.

Oloyede said the assailants had drenched the officials in petrol and were just moments away from setting them ablaze when they were rescued.

The JAMB boss said all officials of the Board deployed to the centre were evacuated, while those on whose lives an attempt was made are being treated in an undisclosed hospital.

He expressed confidence that law enforcement agencies will not to allow such an assault on innocent officials of government who are going about their normal businesses to go unpunished.

“The very first sad thing that we noticed was that two of our staff were almost murdered in Lagos; there was an attempt on their lives at LASPOL, somewhere they call Lagos State Polytechnic.

“For whatever reason, they were wet with petrol and they were to be set ablaze, we have sent a rescue team to take them to the hospital.

“We are still looking into what happened in the place. We have evacuated our staff from the place and we hope that whoever has attempted that, we believe that the law enforcement agencies will not allow such an assault on innocent officials of government who are going about their normal business,” he said.

Speaking further, Oloyede noted that the only offense of the officials was that they were doing their job, adding that “they said those people felt that maybe they quarrelled with their authorities and they felt that why should some people be working in their place not that they offended them.

“I don’t think they know them. From the look of things, they only went there, met them working in the place and decided on their own to coldly murder them.

He said over 157 thousand candidates participated in the mock exercise which was conducted in 698 centre across the country, adding that so far, all the centres are doing very well.

“Of the 712, we have had to disaccredit 14 this morning for one infraction or the other; technical and some deceit whereby some of them will go and borrow some computers and thinking that we will not know.

“Now we have about 698 centres left in the operation, but we have redistributed the students; we are also to let people know that the mock examination is free in JAMB-owned centres; we have been emphasising it because we are testing our system so do we not need to ask candidates to pay.

“But centres owned by other private people they have the right to their N700 from every candidate, which we believe is the most meaningful amount,” he said.

 

Search

Latest posts

PhotoStakeholders seek review of education curriculum for children

Stakeholders in the education sector in Nigeria have called on government to do more to ensure that the curriculum for children is reviewed to make [...]

16 September 2019

PhotoStakeholders seek review of education curriculum for children

Stakeholders in the education sector in Nigeria have called on government to do more to ensure that the curriculum for children is reviewed to make [...]

16 September 2019