STORIES A talking bramble bush
Freddie the Fox was determined to jump over the big fence. There were chickens on the other side, and he would just love one for his supper. He took a long run and jumped. He almost got to the top of the fence, but not quite.
He almost got to the top of the fence, but not quite. His feet kicked and scrabbled for a toehold but, just as he was falling, he grabbed at a big bramble bush to save himself. The thorns tore a big hole in his paws. “Yowee,” yelled Freddie. “I thought I could trust you to help me!
“More fool you, my friend,” chuckled the bramble bush. “I treat everyone just the same.”
Freddie the Fox was wandering through the fields one day when he spied a big bunch of ripe grapes hanging down just over his head. “M'mm,” he said to himself. “They smell delicious. I'll have them for supper.” He leapt upwards but he couldn't quite reach them.
“Bother,” he said, and jumped again without any luck. “This is going to be harder than I thought,” said Freddie. This time he took a long run and leapt as high as he could.
The tip of his nose just brushed the grapes but he crashed to earth, on his head, without them. “Ow!” said Freddie, rubbing his sore head. “Bah and poo-bah! Stupid grapes. I didn't want them anyway.” And he staggered off feeling very cross.
The gullible goat
Freddie the Fox once tumbled into a deep tank of water and couldn't get out. He might have drowned if a goat hadn't come along. “Is the water good to drink?” he asked. “Wonderful!” said Freddie. “Come on in.”
The goat jumped in, and drank till the tank was empty. “Now to get out,” said Freddie. “You stand up against the side of the tank, I will climb up your back and your horns and then pull you out.” “Good idea,” said the goat, and did as Freddie suggested.
The cunning fox scrambled up, pulled himself out and strolled off whistling. “What about me?” squealed the goat. “Well,” said Freddie, “you should have worked that out before you got in.” Stories culled from http://www.kidsgen.com/stories/animal_stories/the_grateful_mouse.htm.
DID YOU KNOW?
Did you know it is physically impossible for you to lick your elbow?
Did you know it takes approximately 12 hours for food to entirely digest?
Did you know women blink nearly twice as often as men?
Did you know most of the dust particles in your house are dead skin?
Did you know the average person falls asleep in seven minutes?
KIDS AND HEALTH
What Are the Signs of a Cold?
Symptoms (say: SIMP-tumz) are signs or clues that tell doctors you're sick. Once you've been in contact with a cold virus, it takes 2 to 3 days for cold symptoms to begin. You may have some of these symptoms with a cold:
- low fever
- body chills
- itchy or sore throat
- sneezing, runny nose, and watery eyes
- feeling tired and not hungry
- congestion (when your nose is stuffy and it's hard to breathe)
How Can I Feel Better?
Having a cold is the #1 reason kids visit the doctor and stay home from school. Kids can get six to 10 colds per year with each cold lasting an average of 7 to 14 days.
Here are some feel-better tips if you get a cold:
- Bring on the heat. Hot drinks soothe coughs and sore throats while also clearing mucus. So eat (or drink) your chicken soup!
- Get steamed up. A steamy shower helps stuffy or irritated noses. Or run a humidifier (a small, quiet machine that sprays fine cool mist in the air) to relieve your scratchy throat and stuffy nose. Humidifiers make room air moist, which loosens mucus.
- Practice healthy habits. Your immune system will be ready to fight colds if you eat a balanced diet, get plenty of sleep, and keep your body fit through regular exercise.
- Blow your horn. Blowing your nose is the best way to get rid of mucus.
- Rest. Take a nap or go to bed a little earlier for a few nights.
- De-stress. Kids who are stressed out feel worse when they have colds. Relax and use the time to read, listen to music, or watch a movie. In other words, chill out and you might prevent a cold! From https://kidshealth.org/en/kids/colds.html.
You can drop me from the tallest building and I'll be fine, but if you drop me in water I die. What am I?
What has a head and a tail, but no body?
What has an eye but cannot see?
What kind of room has no doors or windows?
Feed me and I live, yet give me a drink and I die.
What is as light as a feather, but even the world's strongest man couldn't hold it for more than a minute?
Which weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks?
1. A paper 2. A coin 3. A needle 4. Mushroom 5. Fire 6. Your breath 7. They both weigh one pound
1.Which club won the 2018/2019 Nigerian premier league?
2.Who is the current Senate President?
3.Who emerged Speaker of the House of Representatives
4.President Muhammadu Buhari was sworn into office for what tenure on May 2019?
5.Who is the Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria?
1. Enyimba Football club of Aba 2. Senator Ahmed Lawan 3. Hon Femi Gbajabiamila 4. Second tenure 5. Justice Tanko Mohammed
© 2015 The Abuja Inquirer | Newspaper. Designed by G E Springfield