Written by Sarah NEGEDU

COVID-19: FCTA impose partial lock down

As the nation brace up to contain the further spread of the dreaded COVID19, the FCT Minister, Muhhamed Bello, has announced a partial lock down of the city, safe for those on essential duties.

 

 

 

The Minister told a world conference in Abuja that only those on essential duties such as water supply, fire services, medical services, environmental protection, emergency services like FEMA, are exempted from the stay at home policy.

 

"In order to contain this virus and curtail Its spread, the FCT Administration has taken the decision to enforce a stay at home policy for all Its civil servants on grade level 01-12 from today, Tuesday, 24th March, 2020 till further notice."

 

He said all shops and neighborhood centers are also to remain shut to traders except for those who sell essential commodities and medicines.

 

However, pharmacies and supermarkets selling essential products and bakeries are to remain open but abide strictly to laid down measures.

 

To better manage crises in case of an out break,  the authorities say they have expanded the capacity of the current isolation and treatment center by converting the Zuba General Hospital to an isolation and treatment center.

 

Bello said the administration will also be working closely with the University of Abuja Teaching Hospital by providing the essential facilities.

 

He asked residents of the FCT remain calm, avoid panic buying and continue to obey all laid down measures.

 

On the level of awareness in rural communities, the FCT Minister of State, Dr. Ramatu Aliyu, said the administration has before now embarked on advocacy  on the need for constant hand wash, adding that the campaign will be intensified in the coming days.

 

The FCTA therefore called upon NGO’s, organisations and individuals that desire to provide support for the fight against COVID19 to liaise with the Coordinating response Team under the office of the  Minister of State.

 

Meanwhile, the FCT Commissioner of Police, Bala Ciroma, warned that necessary actions will be taken against groups or individuals that contravene any of the laid down health and safety protocols as established by relevant health authorities.

 

COVID 19 as a full blown global pandemic has reached every comer of the world and Nigeria has not been spared with 40 confirmed cases in the country. The FCT has so far recorded 7 confirmed cases and one fatality. 

 

An Emergency Response Team has already been put in place to tackle the virus in all ramifications in the FCT. 

 

End

 

 

 

 

 

 

Search

Latest posts

PhotoExpand the Sexual Harassment Bill to tackle workplace, other spheres of the society- NBA

The Chairperson of the Nigerian Bar Association, NBA, Abuja Branch, Hauwa Shekarau has said in order to have a holistic Sexual Harassment Bill, the [...]

06 August 2020

PhotoAddressing Nigeria’s fertility worry

Nigeria remains one of the countries with high Total Fertility Rate, TFR, which is, the total number of children birthed by an average Nige [...]

03 August 2020