Short Story: Advising A Fool
On a mango tree in a jungle, there lived many birds. They were happy in their small nests. Before the onset of the rainy season, all the animal of the jungle repaired their homes. The birds also made their homes more secure.
Many birds brought twigs and leaves and others wove their nests. “We should also store some food for our children," chirped one of the birds. And they collected food, until they had enough to see them through the rainy season. They kept themselves busy preparing for the tough times.
Soon the rains came. It was followed by thunder and lighting. All the animals and birds stayed in their homes.
It continued raining for many days. One day, a monkey wet in the rain came into the forest. He sat on a branch, shivering with cold, water dripping from its body.
The poor monkey tried his best to get shelter, but in vain. The leaves were not enough to save him from the rains. “Brrr! It is so cold!" said the monkey.
The birds were watching all this. They felt sorry for the monkey but there was little they could do for him. One of them said, “Brother! Our small nests are not enough to give you shelter."
Another bird said, “All of us prepared for the rainy season. If you had, you would not be in this piteous situation."
“How dare you tell me what to do?" said the monkey, growling at the bird. The monkey angrily pounced on the bird’s nest, tore it and threw it on the ground. The bird and her chicks were helpless.
The poor bird thought, “Fools never value good advice. It is better not to advise them."
KIDS AND HEALTH
Hey! A Mosquito Bit Me!
The female mosquito needs blood from vertebrates (animals that have a spine) to lay eggs and produce more mosquitoes. She has a special part of her mouth that she uses to suck blood, and her saliva (spit) thins the blood so she can drink it. In fact, it's the mosquito's saliva that makes the bites itch!
What a Bite Looks and Feels Like
A person who gets bitten by a mosquito will notice a round pink or red bump that itches a lot.
What You Should Do
If you think you've been bitten by a mosquito, wash the bite with soap and water. Put on some calamine lotion to help stop the itching, or an adult can find an anti-itch cream at the drugstore for you. Placing an ice pack on the bite may also help. Tell an adult you've been bitten by a mosquito.
What a Doctor Will Do
It's very unusual for someone to have an allergic reaction to a mosquito bite. But if you develop an allergic reaction and feel dizzy or sick, tell an adult immediately. A doctor can treat allergic reactions with medicines.
How to Avoid Getting Bitten
The best way to avoid mosquito bites is to wear an insect repellent. Repellents that include one of these ingredients are best: 10% to 30% DEET, lemon eucalyptus, or picaridin. Ask a parent to help you apply them.
Since mosquitoes lay their eggs in water, it's also a good idea to empty out buckets, flower pots, toys, and other things in your yard that may have collected water during a rainstorm. And when it's possible, wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants to keep mosquitoes away from your skin.
DID YOU KNOW?
1.There are about 8.7 million unique species living on the earth! Of these, 2.2 million are in the oceans and the rest on land.
2. It is impossible to lick your own elbow
3. A hippopotamus can run faster than a man
4. Squirrels plant more trees than an average human in their lifetime! How? They just hide their acorns and nuts underground and forget about them
5. An ostrich’s eye is bigger than its whole brain.
1. What is the distance around a circle called?
2. Which planet in our solar system is known to be having ring?
3. In which street does the British Prime Minister live?
4. The Nigerian flag was designed in 1959 by?
5. The smallest continent in the world is?
1. Circumference 2. Saturn 3. Downing Street (Number 10) 4. Taiwo Akinkunmi 5. Australia
1. What do you call it when your parachute doesn’t open?
2. You can you serve it, but never eat it? What is it?
3. How do oceans say hello to each other?
4. What can you catch but not throw?
5. Which letter of the alphabet has the most water?
6. What goes up and down but never moves?
1. Jumping to a conclusion. 2. A tennis ball. 3. They wave! 4. Cold. 5. The C. 6. The temperature.
© 2015 The Abuja Inquirer | Newspaper. Designed by G E Springfield