Sunday, July 14, 2024
HomeNIGERIAAttempted suicide: mast climber observed spot for 1 week - police

Attempted suicide: mast climber observed spot for 1 week – police

The young Nigerian who attempted suicide by threatening to jump off the Aso Radio mast on Monday morning, said he has been observing the mast for about a week before deciding to climb it.

The Abuja Inquirer had earlier reported that the suspect identified as Shuaibu Yushau, an indigene of Borno state, had threatened to jump to his death if the federal government failed to reverse its decision on subsidy removal.

The situation was however remedied when the a team from the FCT Emergency Management Department,  FEMD, arrived at the scene and persuaded him not to jump.

The team led its acting DG, Florence Wenegieme, assured him that his demands would be channeled to the appropriate authorities.

Yushau who placed a handwritten placard at the base of the mast before climbing, said he took the decision because of the harsh economy situation in the country.

Parts of his demands to government also includes addressing the issues of insecurity in parts of the northeast and the northwest.

The placard read, “On behalf of fellow Nigerians, I demand the following:

  1. Government should return fuel subsidy. 
  2. Government should declare state of emergency in Zamfara, Sokoto, Kebbi, Katsina, Kaduna, Niger and Borno on unsecurity (sic) matters and take immediate action to clear those terrorism (sic) in the above listed state and the country at large.
  3. Government should open borders for food impartation in order to eradicate food shortages in the country.
  4. Government should immediately respond to the problem of out of school children which is increasing rapidly.
  • These are the major Nigerians (sic) problems and I’m ready to sacrifice my life for the solutions to them.

-I’m calling for(sic) fellow Nigerians to join me on this riot.”

The FCT Police Command in a statement Monday evening, disclosed that the suspect was now in a stable condition in their custody.

“Following a distress call from concerned citizens about a young man who climbed a very high mast with a placard at ASO Radio in Katampe at about 09:10 a.m, the operatives of the FCT Police Command swiftly mobilized to the location.

“With much professional persuasions from the police operatives, the man later identified as Shuaibu Alhaji Yushau was prevented from taking his own life. He claimed to have been observing the mast for about a week before deciding to climb it. Suspect is presently in police custody and in a stable condition.”

- Advertisment -