Friday, January 21, 2022
HomeAbuja NewsAgain, Gunmen Kidnap Vice Principal, Others From Abuja School

Again, Gunmen Kidnap Vice Principal, Others From Abuja School

Police mum on dev’t

By Sarah NEGEDU

Despite assurances by the FCT Administration that security around school premises have been beefed up to ensure a safe learning and teaching environment for staff and students, a fresh case of abduction has been reported in Yebu community of Kwali area council.

At least two persons were reportedly kidnapped from Government Secondary School, Yebu, on Tuesday, October 26, when over ten heavily armed gunmen stormed the school premises.

The attackers went away with the vice principal, academics, of the Junior Secondary School section, Malam Nuhu Mohammed.

The 52-year old school head was abducted alongside an 18-year old son of another staff of the school, Master Clement Paul Egbeji.

Police sources told our correspondent that the attackers gained easy access into the school premises due to the absence of perimeter fencing and poor telecommunication network in the area which prevented the residents of the staff quarters from promptly contacting the police.

The police source, who preferred anonymity as he was not permitted to speak, said ransom for the victim was pegged at N5m, but gave the assurances that the police were on the trail of the criminals to secure the arrest of the criminals and free the victims.

A similar incident also happened at a school in neighboring Gwagwalada Area Council, where another student was abducted last Thursday.

Though report of the latest kidnapping is still sketchy, The Abuja Inquirer gathered that the incidents may have led to the cancelation of the official flag off of the construction of Kasce feeder road in Gwagwalada.

The event, which was to be chaired by the Minister of State, Dr. Ramatu Aliyu, was canceled at the last minute without an explanation to journalists billed to cover the event.

The FCT Administration had earlier this year assured parents of the safety of students in schools across the territory.

Acting Director Administration and Finance of the Education Secretariat, Malam Abdulrazaq Leramoh, had at a strategic school security meeting in March, tagged ‘School Security Guidelines Watch,’ said stringent measures have been put in place to secure the schools.

He said reports of kidnapping of students from schools in some neighboring states necessitated the intensification of efforts to secure schools by being proactive and putting in place practical measures to avert such incident in the FCT.

Information Officer of the secretariat, Kabiru Musa, had in a statement at the time stressed that, “As custodians of students, no stone will be left unturned as the management has been working to ensure a safe learning and teaching environment since resumption of schools following the Covid-19 lockdown last year.”

He reiterated the commitment of the education secretariat to continue to place the safety of the students and staff as its key priority, “We are not unmindful of emerging challenges as we are also able to respond to such situations appropriately”.

He stressed that FCT schools are safe, “our teachers are teaching effectively while the Students are learning in a safe environment and the authority is intensifying its efforts to ensure the security is further enhanced.”

However, the recent incident at Yebu may have gotten the attention of the Administration, as the need to ensure school security across the territory topped the agenda at the monthly FCT Security Committee meeting chaired by the FCT minister, Malam Muhammad Bello.

Bello assured that the administration will continue to pay adequate attention to school security even as he directed that adequate budgetary provisions should be made for the fencing of schools across the territory in the 2022 budget under preparation.

Similarly, issues of community safety also dominated discussions at the 4th security meeting between the office of the Minister of State, area council chairmen and council of graded chiefs.

Dr. Ramatu Aliyu, who chaired the meeting, cautioned graded traditional rulers against harboring foreigner in the guise of mining activities, as such could lead to security threat within their respective domains.

Efforts to get the police’s reaction to the latest development was not successful as the police spokesperson for the FCT, Josephine Adeh, did not respond to text and Whatsapp messages on her known mobile line.

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

LATEST NEWS