Tuesday, November 29, 2022
HomeSPORTSBasketballHow tennis world reacted to Djokovic’s deportation

How tennis world reacted to Djokovic’s deportation

Novak Djokovic says he is “extremely disappointed” with a court decision to deport him from Australia and prevent his defence of the Australian Open.

Serb Djokovic, who is unvaccinated against Covid-19, failed to overturn a decision from the government to cancel his visa on public health grounds.

The world number one, 34, boarded a flight bound for Dubai from Melbourne on Sunday.

“I will now be taking some time to rest and to recuperate,” he said.

Djokovic was bidding to have the chance to win a record 21st men’s Grand Slam title, moving him clear of Spain’s Rafael Nadal and Switzerland’s Roger Federer for the first time.

Djokovic’s deportation means 35-year-old Nadal is the only one of the trio playing at Melbourne Park. Federer, 40, is out with a long-term knee injury.

The decision ends an 11-day legal dispute over whether Djokovic would be able to play.

Britain’s Andy Murray told the BBC he hoped the sport could move on from the saga and learn lessons for the future.

The Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) – the men’s governing body – said Sunday’s court decision marked the end of “a deeply regrettable series of events”.

It wished Djokovic well and added it continued to “strongly recommend” all players were vaccinated.

What else did Djokovic say?

The court’s decision also sees Djokovic’s recent domination at the opening Grand Slam of the season come to an end.

“I will now be taking some time to rest and to recuperate, before making any further comments beyond this,” he said.

“I am extremely disappointed with the ruling to dismiss my application for judicial review of the decision to cancel my visa, which means I cannot stay in Australia and participate in the Australian Open.

“I respect the court’s ruling and I’ll cooperate with the relevant authorities in relation to my departure from Australia.

“I am uncomfortable that the focus of the past weeks has been on me and I hope that we can all now focus on the game and tournament I love.

“I would like to wish the players, tournament officials, staff, volunteers and fans all the best for the tournament.”

What has the reaction been from his fellow players?

Murray, 34, has known Djokovic since they were children and competed against him for the sport’s biggest prizes.

“It is not great for the tournament because it is better when all of the top players are playing in the event,” he said.

“Novak is someone I have known since we were 12 years old, he is someone who I respect and have competed against.

“I don’t like he is in this situation and I don’t like he has been in detention.

“Hopefully that won’t be the case at other events so there is no other situation like this.

“I wouldn’t want that for Novak, don’t want that for tennis and hopefully it is done now.”

Shortly after the decision was announced on Sunday, Australian player Nick Kyrgios – a vocal critic of Djokovic in the past – tweeted a ‘facepalm’ emoji.

Kyrgios said last week his country’s handling of Djokovic’s visa dispute had been “really bad” and urged officials to “do better”.

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

LATEST NEWS