Wednesday, August 19, 2026
HomeAbuja NewsFlooding: Wike vows to extend demolition to other parts of Abuja

Flooding: Wike vows to extend demolition to other parts of Abuja

The ongoing demolition of structures blocking waterways in Abuja will be extended to other parts of the Federal Capital Territory, as the administration intensifies efforts to tackle flooding in the capital.
The move follows the demolition exercise which began in Maitama on Tuesday, after an inspection of flood-prone areas by FCT Minister Nyesom Wike.
Speaking on Wednesday after inspecting ongoing projects along the Tungan Madaki-Zuba axis, Wike was asked whether similar action would be taken in other areas, including Lugbe and parts of Wuse II, which had also experienced flooding.
The minister said, “Certainly, we have just started somewhere. After that, we will move to another area. We are not going to end just with what we started yesterday.”
He said the exercise would target structures obstructing water channels, explaining that their removal would restore the free flow of water to its designated outlets.
“Obviously, by the time we remove those houses or structures that block the water channel, then we are good to go. Then there will be flow of water to where it is supposed to be. Yes,” he said.
Wike also announced a crackdown on the use of green areas for car sales, saying the practice had turned spaces meant for recreation into makeshift car dealerships.
He disclosed that the Director of Urban was being queried over approvals granted to car dealers to use green areas, while a task force had been set up to ensure that the dealers vacate such locations.
“If you want to sell your car, you go and purchase somewhere or rent somewhere and then develop it. Not where you see green, you just go and start selling cars or where it is supposed to be recreational parks, you turn it to a car selling point. No, we will not accept that again. So we are very serious, and I can tell you, we are not going back. It does not matter who is affected; we are serious about it,” Wike said.
The minister’s stance on the demolition came amid criticism on social media over the exercise, with some questioning whether the administration had followed due process in removing the structures.
But Wike dismissed the criticism, arguing that those who erected structures on water channels had themselves failed to follow due process.
“What is due process? You went to block a water channel, is that due process? What do they want me to do? I am the one following due process to make sure the right thing is being done. You cannot go and erect a structure to block the water channel that is now affecting the entire community, the public, and then you are saying I am not following due process. The man who went to block the channel, which process did he follow?”
RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

LATEST NEWS