Thursday, August 20, 2026
HomeNIGERIAOmo-Agege accuses Oborevwori of sponsoring armed attack on NDC rally in Uvwie

Omo-Agege accuses Oborevwori of sponsoring armed attack on NDC rally in Uvwie

Nigeria Democratic Congress’ 2027 Senatorial candidate for Delta Central, Senator Ovie Omo-Agege, has accused Governor Sheriff Oborevwori of orchestrating an armed attack on his party’s campaign venue in Uvwie Local Government Area, alleging that a gang of more than 50 men threatened to kill him and his campaign coordinator if he showed up for the event.

In a press statement issued Thursday, Omo-Agege said the attack occurred at about 5:30 a.m., when armed men allegedly led by one Emmanuel Erube, described as the Development Committee Chairman of Jakpa, stormed the NDC meeting venue, tore down canopies and destroyed campaign materials.

The senator called the incident “planned,” not random.

According to the statement, the attackers explicitly threatened to kill Omo-Agege and his Uvwie Campaign Coordinator, Dr. Esere Ejifoma Atumu, should the senator appear in Uvwie for the campaign event.

Omo-Agege directly accused Governor Oborevwori, alleging the governor has privately told several people he would have him killed and face no consequences, citing his role as Chief Security Officer of the state.

The senator described the alleged threat as consistent with what he called the governor’s “documented history of violence and impunity,” and characterized Thursday’s incident as a “state-backed” act of intimidation against the opposition.

“When you use named political operatives to carry out violence, the fingerprints lead straight back to Government House, Asaba,” the statement read.
Senator’s demands

Omo-Agege issued three demands:
That the Inspector General of Police and the Director-General of the DSS immediately arrest Erube and his associates, and investigate who is financing them.

That the Delta State Commissioner of Police provide round-the-clock armed protection for him, Dr. Atumu, and NDC campaign teams statewide.

He closed by urging supporters in Uvwie and across the state not to be intimidated, vowing that the NDC campaign would continue.

Thursday’s statement is the latest in a string of violence allegations Omo-Agege has raised since launching his NDC campaign.

He previously said he escaped an assassination attempt in Usiefrun, Ughelli South LGA, on August 13, alongside NDC governorship candidate Chris Iyovwaye, and had flagged earlier attacks in Effurun and Agholokpe in late July.

He has repeatedly named Oborevwori’s camp as responsible, though the state government has not publicly responded to the specific claims in Thursday’s statement.

Omo-Agege and Oborevwori have been political rivals since the 2023 Delta State governorship race, in which Omo-Agege ran on the APC platform against Oborevwori’s winning PDP bid.

He defected to the NDC in May 2026 ahead of the 2027 general elections.

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

LATEST NEWS